Needs Rope Wheel, Rope Arm, and Clapper

Are you wondering how best to clean or repair your favorite bell? Post here if you're seeking advice or parts to get a bell ringing again!

Moderator: admin

Needs Rope Wheel, Rope Arm, and Clapper

Postby admin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:43 am

Rick in Tennessee asks:

I have a #30 church bell with no identifying marks on it other then the bell size that I need some parts for and don't know whwere to look. I need a rope wheel , rope arm and it also has a second clapper that is missing. The bell has been in my wife's mother's back yard on a farm for about 50 years and we have now moved it to our farm and I would like to fix it up if possible.
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

If you can help, please post a response. If you need help posting, please contact me at coordinator@americanbell.org. Please be sure to reference this post as from "Rick in Tennessee" if you are going to send information to me. Thanks

Admin

This inquiry was originally sent to the ABA's Internet Coordinator. Responses are opinions of individuals based on their personal research and knowledge.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Needs Rope Wheel, Rope Arm, and Clapper

Postby hjlong » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:32 pm

This bell uses a wooden wheel constructed of pieced together strips of wood with a rope groove around the rim of the wheel. Any carpenter can construct one for you for a price. The wheel is roughly the diameter of the bell at its base. The side tolling device is more problematic. Unless someone has one for this size bell that they are willing to part with, you may not be able to find one.
Harry Long, MD
hjlong
Contributor

Return to Repair, Restoration, Parts, Cleaning