Need #3 Upright

Are you wondering how best to clean or repair your favorite bell? Post here if you're seeking advice or parts to get a bell ringing again!

Moderator: admin

Need #3 Upright

Postby mwhit » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:44 am

I have a CS Bell with the markings New York 1886 3 Hillsboro o., Silver 3 Steel. The Upright inner dimension where the bell rests is 16 ¼” and the mounting plate is 6” wide. I believe the bell is 18” diameter.

I am looking for a new Upright or a way to fix the one I have. The Upright broke on the curve. Is this a repairable break by welding?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Whitlock
Barrington, IL
mwhit

Re: Need #3 Upright

Postby Neil Goeppinger » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:47 am

It can be brazed or torch welded with cast iron rod, but either way the whole cradle must be heated first or it will just keep cracking next to the weld or braze. I'd take it to someone who does cast iron welding. They will be much easier to find than a replacement cradle with exactly the same dimensions. If you can't get it fixed, I have some mounting arms which are a two piece arrangement and you vary the distance between them with the size of the post, plus spacers. They were expensive for what they are, but they do solve a problem on occasion. -- Neil
I collect U.S. church and fire tower bells and research the foundries which made them.
Neil Goeppinger
Contributor

Postby Prindle Station Bells » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:54 am

Prindle Station Bells, has a #3 upright made from C.S. Bell Company 1886 patterns. We have had so many request for this upright that we dusted off the pattern about 2 years ago. Until then there were no replacement uprights available. Now, our #3 upright will be a perfect fit for your yoke and bell. We also have cranks, clappers also. Our patterns are original to the C.S. Bell Co and we are very proud to continue the manufacture of C.S. Bell Company Bells, using the 1886 patterns.
Sandra Wilson
Prindle Station Bells
prindlestation.com
Prindle Station Bells
Regular

Postby Neil Goeppinger » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:51 am

If Prindle Station is making exact replicas of the originals, that is certainly the way to go for your problem. That's good news.
-- Neil
I collect U.S. church and fire tower bells and research the foundries which made them.
Neil Goeppinger
Contributor

Return to Repair, Restoration, Parts, Cleaning