CS Bell #3 How old?

A place for discussion about bigger bells ..those over about 8" in diameter.
Also check other forums here concerning specific types, manufacturers, etc.

Moderator: admin

CS Bell #3 How old?

Postby dfarrand » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:54 pm

I have a C.S. Bell with 3 stamped on the mount and on the top of the bell. There is no date stamped anywhere that I can find it just says C.S. Bell, Hillsboro 'O. This is a post mount bell. I have had it sandblasted and painted with primer and satin black. I would like to find some history.
dfarrand

Postby admin » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:59 pm

John Eachus responds with this information:

The Charles S. Bell founded the company in 1856. (Recently some facts have been presented that this foundry may actually have cast bells earlier than this.) The CS Bell Co. cast steel alloy bells. (The only other foundry to ever cast steel alloy bells, was Naylors & Vickers in Sheffield, England. The Church of the Nativity, Huntsville, Alabama has a 54” diameter Naylors & Vickers Bell with the crest of the King of England cast into it.)

The first year, CS Bell Co. cast 1,000 bells, farm bells, church bells, fire alarm bells & factory bells. In 1889, they cast 20,000 bells, annually. They marketed their farm bells through Sears Roebuck catalogs. The largest bell cast was 54” diameter, bell weight 2,060. & 3,150 pounds with hardware; in 1921 cost $375.

The CS Bell Co. stopped casting bells in 1950.

In recent years, Bells Novelty Casting in Anniston, Alabama was casting farm bells from the original 1800’s CS Bell Co. molds. Bells Novelty Casting closed this past spring, 2007.

John Eachus

http://www.bells-clocks.com

This reply has been posted by admin at the request of the sender.

Admin

This inquiry was originally sent to the ABA's Internet Coordinator. Responses are opinions of individuals based on their personal research and knowledge.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Carolyn Whitlock » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:06 pm

A great article about the C.S. Bell Co. of Hillsboro, Ohio, can be found at http://www.americanbell.org/belltalk/viewtopic.php?t=47 under the "ABA Library" section on the "Articles about Bells" threads. The author, Neil Goeppinger, is very knowledgable about big bells.

Good luck,
Carolyn G. Whitlock
Site Coordinator and Internet Coordinator
American Bell Association International, Inc.
Carolyn Whitlock
Site Admin

Re: CS Bell #3 How old?

Postby Doty6035 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:48 pm

I just restored my #3 bell. and looks good. I painted it the railroad colors. The bell I have is attached to a #3 yoke that has the date 1886. If yours is rusted and unreadable, It was told to me to have it sandblasted. but for the age, if it does not have a date on the yoke, there is no other markings, due to they would have to make changes to the mold to place date for every year made, that is cost effective. so the only way you can tell the date is the yoke. that is the cross piece that holds the bell, with a bold on it. take care and enjoy it.
Doty6035
Regular

Return to Big Bells