Baltimore Bell Foundry, Clampitt & Regester

Post your questions and comments about companies and individuals who make bells here.

Moderator: admin

Baltimore Bell Foundry, Clampitt & Regester

Postby admin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:39 pm

Ellen asks:
I am interested in knowing if the American Bell Association has any information on the mid-19th century Baltimore Bell Foundry, Clampitt & Regester. In 1851-2, the foundry was located on 53 Holliday Street. I believe the foundry became became Register & Sons in the 1880s or perhaps earlier.

I am particularly interested in learning about the ship bells that Clampitt and Regester produced during the mid-19th century. I would like to find out if it founded bells for steamships built in John Robb’s Shipyard in Baltimore, Maryland.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Ellen

This inquiry was originally sent to the ABA's Internet Coordinator. Responses are opinions of individuals based on their personal research and knowledge.
-01038-
admin
Site Admin

Re: Baltimore Bell Foundry, Clampitt & Regester

Postby Neil Goeppinger » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:52 pm

Hello Ellen, I do not have answers to your questions regarding steamship bells made by Clampitt & Regester, but I will give you what information I have and you can add it to what your have already discovered.

In 1845 the firm was listed in a Baltimore business directory as being located at 47 Holliday St., near the city hall in Baltimore. Perhaps the address you have was for the foundry and this address was their office and mailing address.

Later, when the name changed to J. Regester & Sons Co, Baltimore, the J. stood for Joshua, so I assume Joshua Register was one of the partners in Clampitt & Register.

I have a small brass bell by Clampitt & Regester. It's about 16" or 18" in diameter. -- Neil
I collect U.S. church and fire tower bells and research the foundries which made them.
Neil Goeppinger
Contributor

Postby epenjones » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:05 pm

Amazing what one finds on the internet! I was just in the bell tower (known at the church as the Christmas Tower) of Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Baltimore looking over the ringer mechanism, and observed that the bell was cast by "Clampitt & Regester, Baltimore 1854". Did a search, and found this listing. I too would like to know more about this foundry. I took pictures, but can't seem to figure out how to include them here. Also,there is a building on the southeast corner of Calvert and E Federal streets which is known as the Bell Foundry, just north of Mt Royal on Calvert. I don't know if this was/is a bell foundry or they just liked the name?
Pen J
epenjones
Novice

Postby hjlong » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:14 am

The 1881 History of Baltimore City lists the bell foundry of Joshua Register on Holiday Street as one of 2 bell foundries, including the McShane Bell Foundry.
Harry Long, MD
hjlong
Contributor

Postby Carl Scott Zimmerman » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:33 pm

Elias Clampitt began a brass foundry in Baltimore some time between 1837 and 1842, when it was located at "27 n Frederick st" and he lived at the corner of Eutaw and Lombard streets.

By 1845 he was in partnership with Joshua Register/Regester - both forms of the latter name appear at random throughout subsequent business directories through 1856, often in different parts of the same directory.

The partnership was located at 47 Holliday in 1845 and 1847, at 51 Holliday in 1852, and at 53 Holliday from 1853 through 1856.

Later directories are not yet available to me.

Other bell founders listed in the early Baltimore directories include the following:
William M. Ives (Odell & Ives), 1833-56+
William Peters, 1842-56+
James Russell, 1837-56+
Baker, Holmes & Brown (William Baker, Robert S. Holmes & John Brown), 1856
Some of these did not advertise themselves consistently as bell founders, but always did so as brass founders. Other brass founders never advertised themselves as bell founders.

I'm inclined to think that the "correct" spelling is Regester, and would be interested to know whether anyone has ever actually seen the spelling "Register" on a bell.
Carl Scott Zimmerman
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - home of 36 bell foundries or bell sellers, 1821-1961.
Carl Scott Zimmerman
Contributor

Postby epenjones » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:59 am

Although I spelled it Register in my earlier post, I have reviewed the photographs I took of the bell in the Emmanuel Church tower and the spelling cast into the bell is "Regester".
epenjones
Novice

Re: Baltimore Bell Foundry, Clampitt & Register

Postby Neil Goeppinger » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:59 pm

Ellen, I came across some new information on Clampitt & Regester. In either 1847 or 1848 the firm was located at 53 Holiday Street. In 1850, Henry McShane was 19 years old and living at the home of Joseph Regester and working as a brass founder. The firm of Clampett & Regester soon disloved with Regester forming a partnership at the same location with William George Webb. They did business under the name Baltimore Bell and Bras Works, still at the 53 Holiday Street location under the proprietorship of Regester and Webb. They had a pit capable of casting 10,000 pounds and a large furnace for heating metal.

Henry McShane split off and formed his own firm in 1856 when he founded Henry McShane Brass and Bell Foundry on Concord Street, between Lombard and Pratt in downtown Baltimore.

This information came from the Winter/Spring 2000 issue of Timepiece Journal of the American Clock and Watch Museum, Inc. Carl Scott Zimmerman told me about the article. -- Neil Goeppinger
I collect U.S. church and fire tower bells and research the foundries which made them.
Neil Goeppinger
Contributor

Postby CheetahCats » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:52 pm

I realize that this thread is quite old.

I came across this thread while doing research on Clampitt & Regester. I am a numismatist who specializes and researches early American private tokens.

Naturally, I encounter specimens frequently that feature bell devices.

Rarely does one encounter one from a bell foundry. That said, below is an example of a Clampitt & Regester counterstamped token. Merchants of the era often struck circulating coins as a means to inexpensively advertise.

This particular example was struck on an 1824 U.S. Large Cent. I am unaware of any other Clampitt & Regester counterstamped tokens; Numismatic catalogs do not list any.

I would be most appreciative if someone could post an image of an actual Clampitt & Regester bell.

Thanks, kindly

Cheetah
CheetahCats
Novice

Re: Baltimore Bell Foundry, Clampitt & Regiester

Postby epenjones » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:50 am

Would the site administrator please correct the spelling from Register to Regester

Also, for CheetahCat, I will attempt to post a photo of the bell in the tower of Emmanuel Episcopal Church, 811 Cathedral Street, Baltimore, MD... If you want more photos privately respond.
Attachments
Bell1854.pdf
(73.23 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
BellBaltimore.pdf
(70.68 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
ClampittRegesterpics.jpg
epenjones
Novice

Postby martintallon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:37 am

[quote="epenjones"]Would the site administrator please correct the spelling from Register to Regester

THE SPELLING DOES NOT NEED TO BE CORRECTED IT IS CORRECT IN BOTH SPELLINGS

THE REGESTER -- REGISTER FAMILY

One of "those Freinds lately come into the Province of Maryland to dwell", Robert
Redchester, was visited by members of the Meeting House at the head Tradehavencreek, who
reported that the new arrival (a webster) was "neer wanting provsions".
After this report to the monthly meeting on the 20th day of 12th month 1687, the
Quakers took care of Redchester's needs. This opening is taken from Mrs Evelyn Jackson Tubbs
Metzler's summary of the Eastern Shore Registers/Regesters. This is also on microfilm of the
original minutes Tred Haven Monthly Meeting 1676-1746, Society of Freinds. This Quaker date
is 20 Feb 1687.
This PA branch still calls themselves "Re-JESTERS".
Most Reg-i-ester information is from Kenneth Carroll's book "Quaker Records of the
Eastern Shore".
Joshua Regester owned in Baltimore the J Regester & Sons Bell Foundry which
now was manufacturing bells for churches and other instituions throughout the USA and Canada.
At the present time a Regester bell can be found at the Maritime Musuem in St Michael's MD.
It seems the Baltimore City Hall has a cast iron dome made by the Regester firm. Also at this
time Joshua Regester dropped the "i" from the family name and replaced it with an "e". His
brother Robert followed suit but brother Samuel retained the Eastern Shore spelling of
Register.
martintallon
Novice

Postby CheetahCats » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:38 am

epenjones wrote:Would the site administrator please correct the spelling from Register to Regester

Also, for CheetahCat, I will attempt to post a photo of the bell in the tower of Emmanuel Episcopal Church, 811 Cathedral Street, Baltimore, MD... If you want more photos privately respond.

Wow. Thank you very much for the photos and information! Much appreciated!
CheetahCats
Novice

Postby CheetahCats » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:13 am

martintallon wrote:
epenjones wrote:Would the site administrator please correct the spelling from Register to Regester

THE SPELLING DOES NOT NEED TO BE CORRECTED IT IS CORRECT IN BOTH SPELLINGS

THE REGESTER -- REGISTER FAMILY

One of "those Freinds lately come into the Province of Maryland to dwell", Robert
Redchester, was visited by members of the Meeting House at the head Tradehavencreek, who
reported that the new arrival (a webster) was "neer wanting provsions".
After this report to the monthly meeting on the 20th day of 12th month 1687, the
Quakers took care of Redchester's needs. This opening is taken from Mrs Evelyn Jackson Tubbs
Metzler's summary of the Eastern Shore Registers/Regesters. This is also on microfilm of the
original minutes Tred Haven Monthly Meeting 1676-1746, Society of Freinds. This Quaker date
is 20 Feb 1687.
This PA branch still calls themselves "Re-JESTERS".
Most Reg-i-ester information is from Kenneth Carroll's book "Quaker Records of the
Eastern Shore".
Joshua Regester owned in Baltimore the J Regester & Sons Bell Foundry which
now was manufacturing bells for churches and other instituions throughout the USA and Canada.
At the present time a Regester bell can be found at the Maritime Musuem in St Michael's MD.
It seems the Baltimore City Hall has a cast iron dome made by the Regester firm. Also at this
time Joshua Regester dropped the "i" from the family name and replaced it with an "e". His
brother Robert followed suit but brother Samuel retained the Eastern Shore spelling of
Register.

Thanks for the clarification and information. Much appreciated!
CheetahCats
Novice

Return to Bell Foundries, Manufacturers and Artisans