Eagle Bell Company

Post your questions and comments about companies and individuals who make bells here.

Moderator: admin

Eagle Bell Company

Postby admin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:15 am

Kathy asks:

We have been given a cast iron bell that was once on a church in Montgomery. Do you have a reference book I could look at with names of old bell companies? I think the name of the company is “Eagle Bell Co.” but I might be wrong. It also has Lemon, PA on it (this might also be wrong!) The bell is about 22” in diameter, the clapper is on the exterior of the bell and it ratchets around the bell so it neer hits in the same spot! Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Response #1

About your request for information on the Eagle Bell Co., I came across the note reproduced below. It dates from 1998 and may no longer be a working email, but it may be worth a try. I am writing a book about my great-grandfather, David Caughlan, who cast bronze bells in St. Louis between 1849 and 1868. I came across a note that a John Caughlan worked as a brass finisher about 1869 in the Eagle Bell Foundry in St. Louis, but I think your bell is definitely from Lebanon, Pa. Founders did not usually work in both iron and bronze. It was one or the other. Therefore, bronze bell casters went elsewhere for the iron yokes they used for their bells. Iron bells were often used in schools and on farms. They were more reasonable. The outside clapper makes me wonder if your bell might have been from a fire house? Good luck with your hunt.
"EAGLE BELL CO.I am trying to track down a company called Eagle Bell Co, Lebanon PA, was in existence about 1860 to ? P.L. Weimer rec. a patent on July 23 1867 for a bell which is now in my possession. This bell at one time was a school bell in Hayden, AZ. Any information on this company would be appreciated."

Response #2

There was an Eagle Bell & Brass Foundry which made bells located at 192 N. 2nd Street, St. Louis, Mo. I know it was in business from 1866 to 1900, but may have been in business longer. I don't know of a bell foundry in Lemon, Pa. There are many books on bell founding in England, but the only one for the U.S. is That Vanishing Sound by Springer. It is about bells and bell ringing in general, but many foundries are referred to it the book. It's out of print, but available through inter library loan. I have files on over 350 names under which bells were made, but they are not in book form. Someday I may get around to writing one.

Admin

This inquiry was originally sent to the ABA's Internet Coordinator. The responses are are opinions of individuals based on their personal research and knowledge.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Eagle Bell Company

Postby wvawanabe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:08 pm

I am in possession of a bell with raised letters "EAGLE BELL CO." on one arm and "LEBANON PA" on the other. It is an iron bell bought by my father at a country auction outside Jeffersonville, NY back in the early 1960's. This bell lacks a yoke and clapper. My question, is there any other markings I should be looking for?
wvawanabe

Postby Carl Scott Zimmerman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:12 pm

With respect to Response #2, the Eagle Bell & Brass Foundry in St.Louis was in operation only from 1866 to 1869, under the proprietorship of Kupferle & Boisselier. I have not found any evidence that this name was used after that time, although the partnership continued until 1886 (making brass goods), and John C Kupferle continued as a brass founder until 1899.
Carl Scott Zimmerman
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - home of 36 bell foundries or bell sellers, 1821-1961.
Carl Scott Zimmerman
Contributor

Postby MorrisonWorks » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:39 pm

I have just picked up a #3 bell that also appears to be a variant Eagle Bell. On one side of the yoke reads "Eagle Bell" | "Pat. July 23 1867". On the other side of the yoke "E. Whitman and Sons" | "Baltimore." I have found very little on this bell but I did follow the links found on bell talk to P.L. Weimer's patent #67,006 for the bell ratchet mechanism which explains the counterweight on top (I believe what some folks thought to be an outside clapper). I believe that the E. Whitman and Sons in Baltimore is who had the bell made & sold through their store based on what I can find is that they were a southern agricultural warehouse. Any further information on this would be greatly appreciated. My bell's rope arm has broken off the counter weight but I have found a picture of a complete counterweight and will use that for a repair. I am missing the gear from the top of the bell and would love if anyone has a picture of one so that I might recreate it. I do have the pawl intact. I am also missing the clapper, a weight & size would be great for my repairs. I would love to talk with other Eagle Bell owners & exchange pictures to bring these bells back to their glory.
1.jpg
E. Whitman and sons Baltimore.
3.jpg
Eagle Bell Pat. July 23 1867
MorrisonWorks

Return to Bell Foundries, Manufacturers and Artisans