J. Regester & Sons Baltimore

Post your questions and comments about companies and individuals who make bells here.

Moderator: admin

J. Regester & Sons Baltimore

Postby admin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:42 pm

Alvin in Louisiana writes:

I'm looking for information on a J. Regester & Sons bell I purchased. The bell is 10” in diameter at the skirt and the internal depth is 7”. It appears to be brass and weighs approx. seventeen pounds. As you will see in the pictures the only markings I’ve found are the manufacturer, “J. Regester & Sons Baltimore” and a number twenty on the opposite side of the crown, the serial number I presume. I may find more if I clean it but I’m not sure if I want to at this time. I would like to know a little history on it and information to help return it to original design. I believe the internal hardware has been replaced. The hanger seems to be a galvanized eye bolt. Any information you can find will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Alvin

If you can help, please post a response. If you need help posting, please contact me at coordinator@americanbell.org. Please be sure to reference this post as from "Alvin in Louisiana" if you are going to send information to me. Thanks

Admin

This inquiry was originally sent to the ABA's Internet Coordinator. Responses are opinions of individuals based on their personal research and knowledge.
admin
Site Admin

Re: J. Regester & Sons Baltimore

Postby Neil Goeppinger » Sun May 18, 2008 10:06 pm

Other names this firm operated under included J. Register's Sons Co (a 32 1/2" bell reads Baltimore Bell Foundry, J. Register's
Sons Co, Balt. MD, 1899), and later Register & Webb, also in Baltimore. These people were realted to the McShanes and this firm was likely the forerunner of the McShane Bell Foundry Company of Baltimore.

J. Register and Sons was located at 53 North Holliday Street in 1881, and at Holliday & Saratoga in 1889 (that may be the same location). They operated under this name at least from 1881 to 1889. Sources of information for this firm are Zell's U. S. Business Directories for 1881 and 1889. -- Neil Goeppinger
I collect U.S. church and fire tower bells and research the foundries which made them.
Neil Goeppinger
Contributor

Postby Neil Goeppinger » Sun May 18, 2008 10:08 pm

I forgot to mention that I have an almost identically sized bell, except the lettering on top is not in block lettering on a raised area. It is in script. -- Neil
I collect U.S. church and fire tower bells and research the foundries which made them.
Neil Goeppinger
Contributor

Postby ROBERT T REGESTER » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:35 pm

I am a direct desendent of the Regester bell family. I believe J Regester was my gr gr gr granfather. I know thwere are Regester bells in chrches and firehalls in baltimore and yourk (pa) counties. The maritime museum on Tillman Is. has numerous ship bells made by the Regester bell foundry. Some of the manned naviagtional lights along the Chesapeake also had Regester bells. I am trying to learn more about this company too. I am also interested in any leads where I may be able to buy any Regester Bells

Thank you

Bob Regester (half the world is still misspelling this name 150 years later!)
ROBERT T REGESTER

Postby charding » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:00 pm

I am also a descendent of J. Regester. I am interested in any information about the company.

Carolyn Harding
charding

Postby christopher.brent » Sat May 08, 2010 8:38 pm

My father-in-Law bought a Regester & Webb Bell about 20-25 years ago at an estate sale. it is approximately a 10 in bell. I was looking to find out a time period for it I am figuring around the 1890's or very early 1900's would fit the bill but i am unaware of when Webb actually was brought into the company. Does anyone have any information on this time period? Also could someone help me come up with a value of this. It was on an orchard for the workers to come in for dinner. I also know of another one in my area that they still use during the fall.
Thanks so much
Chris
christopher.brent

Postby bellbuster » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:01 am

I am looking for information on the lineage of Joshua Regester's (of J. Regester & Sons Bell Foundry) wife, Hester/Harriet Jones. I will be glad to share any research I have on the Jones family.

John Buchanan
bellbuster

Return to Bell Foundries, Manufacturers and Artisans