So, what is this worth? (Parts 1-255 & 256; now 27 pages)

Talk about smaller bells here.

Moderator: admin

Re: So, what is this worth? (Part 31b)

Postby halanb » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:42 pm

31b - Gorham Silver Marks

The following link will show the marks used by Gorham Silver Co. from 1868 on.
Note that the top toolbar also has links to various other marks.

http://www.925-1000.com/Gorham_Date_Code.html

=================================================================================================

halanb
Contributor

Re: So, what is this worth? (Part 32)

Postby halanb » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:36 pm

32a - ANTIQUE [CIRCA 1900] HAND HELD BELL TICKET PUNCH

AN ANTIQUE CIRCA 1900 HAND HELD BRASS AND STEEL BELL TICKET PUNCH.
STAMPED "THE BELL PUNCH AND PRINTING CO.LIM.LONDON.K3424".
ORIGINAL CONDITION - WHEN THE PUNCH IS OPERATED A BELL RINGS.
ABOUT 5" LONG.

A utilitarian item incorporating a bell as a signal that a ticket has in fact been punched. The seller does not mention it, but it seems that the rotating discs can be set to print auxiliary information.

Image Image Image

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

=================================================================================================

32b - BIEDERMEIER TISCHGLOCKE DAME PETER TERESZCZUK 19.JHD

Sie bieten auf eine sehr schöne seltene Glocke!!!
BIEDERMEIER
"HOLLAND"
GESICHT AUS BEIN ODER...
"TISCHGLOCKE-HANDGLOCKE"
FIGURLICH
PETER TERESZCZUK?!
ohne signatur
"HOLLÄNDISCHE DAME MIT BLUMEN UND TASCHE"
"MESSING-BRONZIERT"
SCHWERE AUSFÜHRUNG
Mit original Klöppel!
wohl um 19.JHD.
Maße: Hoch: 10,5 cm Durchmesser unten: 8 cm Gewicht: ca. 560 Gramm
Sehr guter altersbedingter Zustand,siehe Foto!

Rough translation: You are bidding on a very rare beautiful bell!
Biedermeier, Holland, Figural Table Bell
By PETER TERESZCZUK? (without signature)
"DUTCH LADY WITH FLOWERS AND BAG", Brass w/ brown patina, heavy, with original clapper, probably around 19th century. Dimensions: High: 10.5 cm bottom diameter: 8 cm Weight: 560 grams

As I have mentioned previously, ivory-face lady figurine bells always fetch a hefty price, and this is no exception. Personally, however, I doubt that this is by Peter Tereszczuk, as the casting details do not appear to approach his usual standard. Manfred is the expert on this subject, and I hope that he will post his thoughts on this matter.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0588626481

halanb
Contributor

Re: So, what is this worth? (Parts 1 - 31 & 32; now 4 pages

Postby Glockensammler » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:59 am

Hi Alan,

yes, indeed it is a bell made in the workshop of Peter Tereszczuk. I have a similar bell in my
collection - again without signature!!
However I have seen the same type a couple of times in recent years and both were
marked by Tereszcuk.

Manfred
Always interested in members possessing bells by Peter Tereszczuk. If possible please send a photo of such bells via E-mail to me. If you like to see details of my collection see the following website: http://bellcollector.jimdo.com
Glockensammler
Contributor

Re: So, what is this worth? (Part 33)

Postby halanb » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:24 pm

33 - Addendum Re: Part 31a-2 - Berthold Muller Bell

Our alert viewer has sent a photo of a companion to the Berthold Muller bell in Part 31a-2. The photo on the left is from the eBay listing. The photo on the right is the new submission, and flies a guidon from the pole. The viewer points out that the two knobs near the top of the pole on the eBay bell suggest that something would have been between them.

Image Image

halanb
Contributor

Re: So, what is this worth? (Part 34)

Postby halanb » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:10 pm

And now, a few silver items from Britain for your consideration: =================================================================================================

34a Art Deco Asprey Silver Plated Bell Cocktail Shaker 1930
An iconic art deco silver plated bell shape cocktail shaker by Asprey & Co. Fantastic design in the form of a hand bell. Classic art deco by the famous retailer Asprey & Co London. Made by Hukin and Heath for Asprey . Genuine and original 1930's . Fully marked on the base with provisional patent and registration number. In excellent condition and fully functional . Height approx 11".

Frankly, this is one of the pieces that I do not understand or the prices paid for them, probably because I do not collect cocktail shakers. It would be of interest to me because of the bell shape, but for no other reason.

Image Image Image

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Art-Deco-Aspr ... 5199f9eaeb

==================================================================================================

34b Antique silver plate childs rattle whistle & bells 19th
An unusual child's rattle. With whistle and four bells. Cast metal 19th century. Size: Length 3 1/2 inches.
Condition: I think the item once had a handle, the mount for which is now missing.
The mouthpiece is slightly damaged and does not sound.
There are three very small cracks in the body which appear to be casting flaws. Slight wear to plate.

Talk about your bells and whistles! Yes, only one whistle, but four bells, and a lady figurine.

Image Image Image

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-silve ... 19c7132097

34c Superb SOLID SILVER & Faux Ivory TABLE BELL London 1900
This sterling silver table bell has been made to a Georgian design.
It has a barley twist ivory handle and the body is English hallmarked silver.
The bell has its original chain and clapper, the latter is also hallmarked for sterling silver.
Hallmarks on the bell are clear and show maker CB for Charles Boyton, Lion Passant for sterling, London assay mark and date letter e for 1900.
The bell is in very good condition and the clapper has a wonderful resonance. The ivory handle has a thin split as seen in photo.
Height is 5 ½ ins (14cm) and diameter of bell is 3 ¼ ins (8cm). This is a quality piece from an age of elegant dining.

If you collect authenticated silver tea bells, then this is one to have as it is well documented. A glance at the silver marks shows again the fondness that Brits have for polishing silver (and brass) items. The marks would have originally been much higher relief, but they illustrate what you should look for. Some of the marks go back to the 15th Century, and can easily be found online. The initials are those of the maker, were required and registered. The Lion Passant denotes sterling (.925) silver content. The Uncrowned Leopard Head denotes London from 1822 on. The last mark is for the year of manufacture, normally running thru 20 upper and lower case letters, with the font and shield design changing every 40 years. From 1784 - 1890 there was also a Duty Mark, showing the head of the reigning monarch.

Note that the seller uses "Faux Ivory" in the title, as required by the current goofy eBay rules, but reverts to "ivory" in the text.

Image Image Image

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-SOLID- ... 27bcb39e04

One more, for lagniappe:

34d Antique silver bell Birmingham 1930

A wonderful antique silver bell, the handle beautifully carved. It has hallmarks for Birmingham 1930 and the makers mark of William Base & Sons of Kenyon Street, Birmingham.
It is heavy as it is cast silver with beautiful decoration.
There is no mistaking its unique quality and design, which is sure to make it a treasured piece by any discerning collector. It weighs approximately 9 oz. Height 16cm & Diameter 7.5 cm
This bell is in truly excellent condition and is sure to make an outstanding contribution to your collection.

I include this bell as a curiosity, not a recommendation that it be purchased. Yes, it is sterling and properly marked, but to me has little appeal. The Gorham "Old Florentine" bore that inscription, was silver-plated, and made around the period 1880-1915. This appears to be an exact copy, made in 1930. I myself would prefer the Gorham, equally appealing, and much less expensive.

Image Image Image Image Image

I do not include a link as this is an item perpetually for sale at a hugely inflated price - £695 or $1134.

halanb
Contributor

Re: So, what is this worth? (Part 35a)

Postby halanb » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:48 pm

35a-1 Collectable Antique Brass Foot/Fire/Alarm/Door Bell
You are bidding on a collectable antique brass bell.
I'm not sure what it was used for possibly a fire, alarm, door or foot bell.
The round bell section is approx 145mm (5.8in) diameter, back plate is approx 180mm (7.2in) in length, and height is approx 160mm (6.4in) at highest point, total length is approx 230mm (9.2in).
It has what appears to be a wall or floor fixing plate and then a sort of knob which I presume was hit with either hand or foot to ring the bell. Very heavy weighs over 2 kg (4.5lb).

This would often be known in this country as a Foot Gong,
to be mounted under the floorboards of a vehicle and normally operated by the driver.
(I might have placed a bid, but overseas shipping would cost more than the item itself.)

35a-2 ANTIQUE SILVER PLATE CALL BELL DINNER GONG COW HORN
THIS IS A SUPERB ANTIQUE CALL BELL WITH STRIKER.
IT IT MADE FROM OAK WITH SILVER PLATED MOUNTS AND COW HORN SUPPORTS.
IT MEASURES 9.3/4" X 5" AND IT STANDS 7.1/2" IN HEIGHT.
IT IS IN GOOD CONDITION, GREAT ITEM.

Image Image

halanb
Contributor

Re: So, what is this worth? (Part 35b)

Postby halanb » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:46 pm

35b-1 CLOCHE ETAIN ART NOUVEAU signée LEDRU SUSSE frères
Cloche de Table ART NOUVEAU en ETAIN signée LEDRU Copyright by SUSSE Frères - Magnifique décor tout le tour, femmes nageant, poissons et Eole Dieu du vent - Manque le Battant - elle est à nettoyer, l'étain a des craquelures superficielles. Hauteur 13,5 cm - Diamètre 9,2 cm.

PEWTER BELL, ART NOUVEAU, Signed LEDRU, SUSSE FRERES
Table bell, Art Nouveau, in pewter, signed LEDRU, Copyright by Susse Freres.
Beautiful decoration all around - women swimming, fish, and the God of Winds blows.
Missing the clapper, needs cleaning, the pewter has superficial crazing/cracking.
Height 13.5 cm (5.4 in), Diameter 9.2 cm (3.7 in).

Created by Auguste Ledru (1860-1902), Art Nouveau sculptor. Cast by Susse Freres, one of the leading foundries in 19C France. They normally worked in bronze, though this bell is pewter. It is possible there was also a more expensive bronze version, with the pewter example a lower cost option.

The seller mentions "superficial" cracking or crazing, but it looks more than that to me. Originally the pewter would have had a shiny surface, like silver. Over time, pewter with lead content will form a surface scale, much like rust on iron, and can chip or flake off. If mine, I would probably send it off for professional polishing by a firm that specializes in antique repair.

Image Image Image

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 20431.html

35b-2 Lg 7" Antique Figural Man Brass Bronze Hand Bell
Offered for bids is a brass bell measuring 7 1/2” high. Bell is cast in the form of an man in 18thC or 19thC clothing holding what looks like a pineapple ? to his chest in his right hand & perhaps a flask or powder horn ? in his left. Condition is very good, with a rich unpolished patina. Not signed.

In the case of American Brilliant Period cut glass bells, Al Trinidad wrote in Glass Bells, "By their handles you will know them." In the case of early period (1907-1933) Pearson Page figural bells, "By their bases you will know them."

Springer (Collector's Book of Bells) shows six bells with this base in plate 320. There is a seventh with the lady figure in picture 5 below, and there may be others. It was common for Pearson Page to swap figures on standard bases, some of which are shown in pictures 4 & 5. They were offered as plain brass, lacquered brass, and in a variety of chemical patina colors.

These figural bells used to appear frequently, but this is the first I have seen for a while. They would sometimes sell for twice the current opening bid, though I think it is somewhat high these days and there were no takers.

Image Image Image

Image Image

halanb
Contributor

Re: So, what is this worth? (Part 36a)

Postby halanb » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:25 am

36a-1 Old Russian Faberge silver in enamel Push Bell
Old Russian Push Bell, silver in enamel on the lid inside stand old silver hallmark,
master AH Faberge Designer, even with original power cords, good condition.
There are slight traces of use and scratches enamel, in working condition and can be used as intended
length c. 7cm, weight of silver c. 30g

A Guilloché bell push with enameling. Guilloché is a technique of "engine turning" with a lathe, by which a very precise intricate repetitive pattern or design is mechanically engraved into an underlying material with fine detail. Enamel was often then applied to decorative items.

Image Image

Unmarked, this item might sell in the $100 - $200 range. With the inferred magic of the Faberge name,...

http://cgi.ebay.com/old-Russian-Faberge ... 4aad38b20a

36a-2 Antique Vienna Bronze by Franz Bergman modeled as bell

This is the depiction of an antique Vienna Bronze by Franz Bergman modeled as a table bell in the shape of a baby´s head. The Bronze is very fine and detailed crafted and is signed by Franz Bergman on the back side. The bell push is on the head of the baby. The item is in perfect condition and dated at the 19th century.

The Bergman foundry, established in the 1880s by Franz Bergman (1830-1894) was very well known for its beautiful figures. Most Bergmans are either signed with a "B" placed within a double handled urn or the word namgreb which is Bergman spelled backwards.

Length: 3,1"(8cm) Width: 3,1"(8cm)

Franz Bergman and Fritz Bermann were the two best known makers of Vienna Bronze items, beginning around 1880. The bottom of the piece has the Bergman double-handled urn mark.

Image Image Image

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Vienna-Bron ... 5adcc15571

36a-3 EX RARE VIENNA BRONZE NOUVEAU SPIDER BELL PUSH RINGER
For your consideration is this wonderful Austrian Vienna polychromed bronze servant bell electric ringer from the early 1900's. It has a bone pusher. It is not marked, but looks to be Vienna type in the Hagenauer line.
Has great quality and detail. This beauty is in excellent condition with no dents, scratches, chips, fleabites, hairlines or cracks. Size: Width: 4 cm Length: 6.5 cm

How would you like this hanging in the corner of your room? At least one person decided s/he would.

Note: This seller has several bell pushes listed and attributes them all to the "Hagenauer" line. They could have been done by Carl Hagenauer (1872 - 1928). Better known are his sons Karl born in 1898 and Franz in 1906. The sons worked in Art Deco in the 1930s, while bell pushes were most popular during the Art Nouveau period in the 1890s. There are some Art Deco Hagenauer table bells - hard to find, expensive, and highly desirable. An example of one is shown in the third photo.

Image Image Image

http://cgi.ebay.com/EX-RARE-VIENNA-BRON ... 4cf8a418c2

Last edited by halanb on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
halanb
Contributor

Re: So, what is this worth? (Part 36b)

Postby halanb » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:14 pm

36b-1 LARGE VINTAGE BRASS BELL WITH REAL LEATHER STRAP
LARGE VINTAGE BRASS BELL WITH REAL LEATHER HANDLE SRAP AND ALL ORIGINAL DETAILS
22.5CM TALL BELL DIAMETER 10.3CM

It is unusual to find a musical handbell, in what appears to be good condition, that is not part of a set. From the clapper retard pads and the large rivet in the leather handle, it looks as if it may be a Whitechapel bell, probably around F5. Those bells can be purchased individually, at a cost new in the $400 - $450 range. Used ones, even well worn and with missing pieces, often sell for over $100 as many collectors like to have one as an example.

Most table bells in this size would have a bronze alloy in the range of 95% copper and 5% tin, which makes them very durable. Musical handbells are cast with an alloy more like large church bells, around 80% copper and 20% tin. This gives them a more precise tone and allows tuning, but also makes these thin wall bells very brittle. Drop one on a hard surface and it may shatter.

Image Image Image

36b-2 PRAYER WHEEL,TIBETAN
Here's a very unique piece, a prayer wheel, you won't find these every day.

A prayer wheel, or Mani wheel, is a cylindrical container on a spindle handle. Traditionally, the mantra Om Mani Padme Hum is written in Sanskrit on the outside of the wheel, and printed copies of the mantra are wound round the spindle inside the container. Also sometimes depicted are Dakinis, Protectors and very often the eight auspicious symbols Ashtamangala. According to the Tibetan Buddhist tradition based on the lineage texts regarding prayer wheels, spinning such a wheel, always clockwise when viewed from the top, will have much the same meritorious effect as orally reciting the prayers.

The seller is correct in that you won't often find a prayer wheel like this (brass, bone, horn, decorative stones) every day at such an attractive price. However, you can easily find many for sale by searching eBay. Most are offered from China, all rather dubiously claiming to be "antique", and offered for tens, hundreds, or even thousands of dollars. A few may be worth it, and some do sell at the ABA convention auctions for several hundred dollars, but those are ones that can be examined in person. If you want one and are buying it from pictures on the Internet, my advice would be to find one that is pleasing to you and costs no more than $50.

36b-3 DECORATIVE, BRONZE / BRASS HAND BELL, TABLE BELL, C1900
A SUPERB, CAST BRASS OR BRONZE, TABLE HAND BELL, WITH FINE DECORATION, MEASURING 4 3/8" HIGH, AND IN VERY GOOD CONDITION, WITH A CRISP RING, SOME MINOR AGE RELATED WEAR, NO SERIOUS DAMAGE, AND NO REPAIRS.

This is a copy of the Tsar Bell (Tsar Kolokol) from the Kremlin, by one measure the largest bell ever made (20 ft high, 200 tons), though damaged in a fire before it could be installed. The bell was cast in 1735, and copies have been made since around 1850. The early ones were very precise models and highly desirable. This looks to be a somewhat inferior later copy and, in my opinion, not worth the sale price.

Image Image

Image Image Image

halanb
Contributor

Re: So, what is this worth? (Part 36c)

Postby halanb » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:12 pm

36c Examples of bells we have seen previously, for comparison purposes.

Carl Wagner Bronze Elk Stag Bell Original Sculpture
Artist Carl Wagner 'Granite Factory Originals' Cast Bronze Elk, Stag, or Deer Bell Figurine or Sculpture.
This is a limited edition Granite Factory Originals, Carl Wagner. Signed WAPITI on the top of the outside rim of the bell and C. Wagner 77 inside the bell's base. 219 of 1000. Made of silicon bronze ( 95% copper, 4% silicone & 1% manganese ). Leg and hoof clapper. 5 1/2" H.

There were some unauthorized reproductions (fakes) made of this particular bell, though they are not signed. Carl Wagner signed and numbered the wax figure for all of his bells, though sometimes he neglected to add the name of the particular bell.

Image Image

FABULOUS BRONZE DOG DESK BELL - WORKING
A fabulous bronze desk bell in the form of a dog beautifully detailed with glass eyes. When the dog’s ears are depressed his mouth opens and the bell rings. This superb collectable bronze is in good working order and has a diameter of 12cm weighing 970g.

Image Image

Sterling bell, Georg Jensen, Denmark, Parallel pattern.
This is quite a rare pattern, also known as Relief.
It was designed in 1931 by Oscar Gundlach-Pedersen, although this bell was made post-1945.
In very good condition.
Fully marked along the outside. Dimensions: 3" tall, 1.75" diameter. Weight: 85 gms.

Image Image Image

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sterling-bell-Georg ... 4cf8d1eb4c

halanb
Contributor

Re: So, what is this worth? (Part 37)

Postby halanb » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:15 pm

Rare Silver Bell Pin Cushion Birm - Levi & Salaman 1909
A solid silver pin cushion in the form of a bell. Fully hallmarked for this renowned silversmith and complete with registration number this scarce item is perfect for the collector.
Assay: Birmingham - Date: 1909 - Engraving: None - Maker: Levi & Salaman
Weight: 16 grams - Measurements: Height 54mm (2.1in) x Base Diameter 44mm (1.7in)
Condition: Some dings and scratches consistent with age. No other damages. Strong hallmarks. superb

Not itself a bell, but a bell-shaped or bell-related item. Sterling silver with hallmarks.

Image Image

Image Image

We have seen the silver hallmarks in the left photo previously. The Maker's Mark (initials in a cartouche), an Anchor denoting Birmingham as the place of manufacture, the Lion Passant denoting sterling silver, and a Date Mark for the year of manufacture. The seller interprets these as:
Levi & Salaman - Birmingham - Sterling silver - 1909

There is another mark we have not seen previously - a British registration mark. One Internet source for interpreting these registration marks may be found here:
http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmu ... _Marks.htm
By following this link you can see that the item was registered at the Patent Office in London (similar to a USA Patent Number, but used for Designs, Trade Marks, Copyrights and Patents) sometime in 1907.

An Internet source for interpreting the silver marks may be found here:
http://www.silvercollection.it/englishs ... marks.html
Scrolling down the page you will see a section headed "LONDON SILVER DATE MARKS" with six columns of years and the corresponding style of letter and cartouche used for that year. Scrolling down even further you will see that the letter "k" was used in 1905. Whoops! The registration number said it was registered in 1907, the seller said it was made in 1909, so whazzup with that?

Aha! The table heading did say LONDON. Could Birmingham be different? Just below the London table is a section headed "OTHER TOWNS." Click on Birmingham and a new page will open, pertaining only to Birmingham, and it does show that "k" was used there for 1909. Why the difference? I have no idea.

halanb
Contributor

Re: So, what is this worth? (Part 38)

Postby halanb » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:48 pm

Part 38 - More Carl Wagner bells. On two of his bells, the Bighorn Sheep and the Longhorn Cow, he sold out of the planned first edition and made more of the same bell in a second edition.

38a - 1979 Carl Wagner Bronze Ram Bell Original Sculpture
Up for auction is this limited edition of a signed & numbered bell by Carl Wagner. This inside is marked, "79' Carl Wagner 391/2500". The outside is marked, "Rocky Mtn. Bighorn". This sculpture is carved in wax then a rubber mold is made, hot wax is poured & a shell is made. Molten Brozes is then poured in the shell, sand blasted, finished and polished. This art piece is made of Silicon bronze (95% copper 4% silicon 1% manganese). It is detailed with a hoof clapper, 3D effect of the ram on the side. This is used, but in great condition with no wear from normal use. This is a wonderful collectible. Approx 4 1/2" diameter X 5 3/4" tall.

The first edition had a maximum size of 1000 and was marked Mountain Bighorn on the side of the bell. The second edition had a maximum size of 2500 and was marked Rocky Mountain Bighorn on the side of the bell. Other than the inscription, there are essentially no differences between the two. This is one from the second edition.

Image Image

38b - Vintage Carl Wagner Bronze Steerhead Bell
Offered for sale is this limited edition bronze bell by artist Carl Wagner. This was limited to 500 pieces. It is 5.25" tall and has a horn span of 9.25". Notice the clapper in the shape of a steer hoof.

38c - VINTAGE CARL WAGNER BRONZE STEERHEAD BELL
VINTAGE CARL WAGNER BRONZE STEERHEAD BELL
A NICE COWBELL COLLECTIBLE, NUMBER 194 OF 2500.
IT HAS A HORN SPAN OF 9" AND 4 1/2" ACROSS THE BOTTOM
IT HAS A STEER LEG FOR A CLAPPER

38b is the first edition, and reads Series of 500 on the interior, as shown in the picture.

38c is the second edition, and unually reads Texas Longhorn on the interior. I cannot see from the picture provided by the seller if the bell is so marked. Sometimes Carl Wagner forgot to add the additional description to the interior, though all the bells are signed and have the casting number.

The major differences between the two bells are the style of the loop handle and the location of the tag. The first edition, 38b, has a twisted loop handle and the tag in the cow's right ear. The second edition, 38c, has a plain loop handle and the tag in the cow's left ear.

Image Image

Image Image

38b - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

38c - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

halanb
Contributor

Re: So, what is this worth? (Part 39)

Postby halanb » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:18 pm

39a - TISCHGLOCKE - BIEDERMEIER - HOLLAND - WACKLER - MESSING - UM 1800
Sie bieten auf eine sehr schöne Glocke!!!
BIEDERMEIER, "HOLLAND", "TISCHGLOCKE-HANDGLOCKE", FIGURLICH SOGENANTER WACKLER
"HOLLÄNDISCHE TRINKFESTER HERR SITZTEND AUF EINEM TISCH"
SIGNIERT: DONNARD DU LION? "MESSING" SCHWERE AUSFÜHRUNG
Kopf ist mit dem Klöppel verbunden, beim Kopfwackeln bewegt sich der Klöppel.
Mit original Klöppel! wohl um 1800
Maße: Hoch: 11,5 cm Durchmesser unten: 6,5 cm Gewicht: ca. 450 Gramm

Table bell - Biedermeier (style) - Holland - Brass - c. 1800
You are bidding on a beautiful bell!
BIEDERMEIER, "HOLLAND", "TABLE BELL- Hand BELL"
DUTCH GENTLEMAN DRINKING ON AN UPTURNED TABLE"
SIGNED: Donnard LION? "BRASS" HEAVY
Head is connected to the clapper, the head wobble moves the clapper.
With original clapper! probably around 1800
Dimensions: Height: 11.5 cm (4.6 in) - Bottom diameter: 6.5 cm (2.6 in) - Weight: 450 grams (16 oz)

This is one of the old nodders that every serious metal table bell collector should have in the collection. Often described as a Scot (possibly based on the hat and whiskers), hawking a brand of pomade (greasy hair dressing), with a drum at his feet to attract the attention of a crowd. Seller says brass and from Holland, but possibly bronze and from France.

Image Image Image Image

This was a 30-day listing and near the end of that period. Buy-it-now price of 430 euros or Make Offer. Someone made an offer, got a nice discount.

39b - Antique old bronze hotel Bell
I offer for sale this very rare bell, maybe a hotel table bell which is approx 19.5 cm (8 ins) high and can be seen illustrated on the frontispiece of two specialist collector publications by L.Elsinore Springer and Dorothy Malone Anthony. I know from these books that it is an Indian Princess Bell inspired by a love story written by the French author Chateaubriand. The story was published in 1801 after he had travelled in North America. Atala, the daughter of an Indian chief, fell in love with Choctas, her fathers prisoner and the chief of another tribe. She freed him and they fled. However Atala recalled a promise to her mother that she would not marry so she took her own life.
In typical Indian pose Atala should hold two beaters so that when the upper one is tripped the lower one raises then falls to ring the bell. Unfortunately on this example the upper beater is missing but with slight adjustment the bell can still be tripped & functions correctly by hand as can be seen in the youtube video Atala bell . The bell is very old in heavy bronze (1507 gm), with some markings, Paris ( ?) & something more and I know from one antique dealer that it is very rare so it will only be shipped "to be signed for".

Yes, this bell is highly-sought and always sells for a high price. Yet, lost in all the "noise" are two important considerations: the upper beater is missing and needs slight adjustment. The latter is seller-talk for, "I don't know what is wrong, have no clue how to repair it, can't be bothered to try, maybe it can't be repaired, but of course you could easily do it yourself." Good luck! With a substantial discount, fine, but it escapes me why anyone would pay a premium price for a defective item.

Image Image Image

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-old-bronze- ... 27bd0ec097

39c - RARE Mexican Sterling Dinner Bell WILLIAM SPRATLING
Description : Dinner / Table Bell - weighs 7.24 troy ozs.
Maker : William Spratling.
Pattern : Dinner Bell with three rattles and a handle of twisted open worked stems. The top of handle has a ball finial. Above each rattle is an applied figural bee.
Marked : with the older Spratling mark WS (hard to read because part of the mark is covered up where the one rattle is attached) See Photo, It is also marked with the eagle mark (See Photo).
Measurements : 4 5/8" in height and measures 2 7/8" in width.
Monograms: none.
Condition : Great Estate Condition - there is a tiny ding on the top of handle - very minor and just pointed out for accuracy.

Spratling silver is eagerly sought and sells for high prices. William Spratling made silver items in Taxco in the period 1930-1945, a substantial enterprise with over 100 employees. However, the company was bankrupt and dissolved at the end of that period. The designs were later sold and continued under a similar name. Seller implies this was from the first period and may be correct, but I don't know enough about the marks to date it.

Image Image Image

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Mexican-Sterli ... 519a2c0e3b

halanb
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Small Bells